WWEDesign System and Usability Enhancements
WWE is one of the leading sports entertainment organizations globally. The WWE Network is a 24x7 streaming service that lets WWE fans watch past and present WWE shows and pay-per-views from any device.
I worked with WWE to elevate the user experience of the WWE Network and unify the experience across 8 devices: Web, Mobile, iPad, TV OS, Roku, PlayStation, Xbox
Across every device, the WWE Network experience was different. To create a more cohesive experience, I distilled the Network down to it’s core components. Then I developed a component map that defined the relationships between every component, and a matrix that detailed component constraints by device. This paved the way for a unified experience that was easy to use across devices.
Navigating, sorting and filtering became more elegant and easy-to-use. Playback evolved into a place to discover and jump to related content. An added benefit was that internally the team had a vocabulary we could use to discuss future product improvements.
A driving goal for the re-design was to more closely model the WWE fan experience. Through user research and heuristic evaluations, I designed several new features that are now central to the WWE Network:
- Postplay so fans could continue to watch their favorite shows
- Superstars so fans discover content that features their favorite WWE wrestlers
- Milestones so users can discover their favorite matches
- Match types so users can discover their favorite kinds of matches
- Playlists so users can create and share watch lists.
In parallel to the re-design of the Network, I helped improve the existing Network experience. Across Web, Mobile, Apple TV, Roku, Playstation, Xbox and more, I audited the user experience and interface of the Network to identify opportunities to improve usability and accessibility and to add more delight. This resulted in:
- An enhanced onboarding experience
- A Chromecast integration. Improved navigation
- A more user-friendly unsubscribe flow
- Deep-linking so users could jump directly into live or new programs
- Improved Network landing page using gradual engagement
- Visual design enhancements that retained the WWE personality but made the experience more accessible.